AW: [sw-l] SignWriting on San Diego Local News Program Yesterday

Wed Apr 2 21:53:22 UTC 2008

Congratulations,

so nice to to see you in this video!

Stefan;-)

  _____

Von: sw-l-bounces at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:sw-l-bounces at majordomo.valenciacc.edu] Im Auftrag von Valerie Sutton
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 2. April 2008 17:05
An: SignWriting List
Cc: Nancy Romero
Betreff: [sw-l] SignWriting on San Diego Local News Program Yesterday

SignWriting List

April 2, 2008

Hello Everyone!

Yesterday morning I woke up and turned on my computer. I had a cup of coffee
in my hand and started to read my email. I read a "Google Alert" telling me
that a press release about SignWriting had been posted on the web. It was
the National Association of Police and Lay Charities group, the NALPC, that
had posted the press release, which I mentioned to you yesterday. After I
posted that message to all of you...around 5 minutes later...the telephone
rang, and it was the Channel 10 ABC local San Diego news channel. The
reporter had read the press release on the web, and wanted to do a story
within the next 2 hours, for a local news program that same night...She
wanted to interview Deaf people in my office and why they would want to
write sign language, and since it was around 9:00 in the morning, and I work
out of my home, there were no Deaf friends in my office at that time! I
called a Deaf friend, but their tty was not on...Nancy Romero was kind
enough to drive immediately to my home. Within 2 hours of the telephone
call, we were being interviewed on camera...The small TV spot that resulted
was only around a minute long on the news last night, and it went so fast I
am sure that most people only got a tiny idea of what SignWriting is...The
transcript, which is attached, is not perfect. The questions that were asked
of us in the interview were mostly "why would anyone want to write sign
language when they can write English?". We answered that same question many
times. I pointed out that SignWriting was developed to preserve, read and
write beautiful languages, signed languages, but it was not meant to replace
any other language...and of course everyone wants to learn other
languages...and it is useful to be able to read and write different
languages...etc etc etc...you all know this...

Anyway...here is the transcript of the TV program...

And many thanks to Nancy Romero, for making the interview fun and
informative...and for interpreting for me...I truly appreciate it!

There is a little Quicktime movie of the TV spot. I will ask the TV station
for permission to post it on our web site later...

It can be viewed on the web right now here:

San Diegan Creates <http://www.10news.com/news/15767569/detail.html>
Written Form Of Sign Language

KGTV, 10News.com - San Diego,CA,USA
Signwriting is used in over 40 countries and Sutton is working on a way for
deaf people to write in sign language online.

<http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ncl=http://www.10news.com/news/15767569/d
etail.html> See all stories on this topic