MALTESE Sign Language Bible Project - Private WebPuddle

Wed Apr 30 14:56:19 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
April 30, 2008

Hello Maria!
Thank you for this message, and we are happy to help you...

> I've been through most of the instructions and now I'm getting a
> clearer
> picture of what Sign Puddle actually is and what our options are.

Great!

> The project we have just started is the translation of several bible
> passages from Maltese to Maltese Sign Language (LSM). It is a long-
> term
> project (I hope that the whole Bible will be translated), but at the
> same
> time we have short-term targets. Before December 2008 we would like
> some
> of these Bible translations to be available for the Deaf. We are
> also also
> considering illustrations to be included, so that the stories appeal
> the younger Deaf as well.

Wonderful. We have the same kind of project here too. There is a
private ASL Bible Puddle, where we are adding both the vocabulary and
documents for translating Bible passages into American Sign
Language....So we are using SignPuddle for Bible projects
already...Two different Bible-translating groups are using the same
private ASL Bible Puddle to create their documents...it is a wonderful
way to work...and large Bible documents have already been created,
written in ASL...

We can create a Private Web Puddle for the Maltese Bible
Project...that is the best for all of us...The PocketPuddle is not
available at this time...

So this will be easy for us to help you...you can have the Private
WebPuddle today, with complete security.

Plus, I suggest that you also register in the Maltese Dictionary
Puddle that already exists, and then I can make you an Editor of the
Maltese Dictionary Puddle...that Puddle is for individual signs that
the public can read, but they cannot change any of the signs...only
the Editors can change signs...

To do this, please go to:

Maltese Dictionary Puddle
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/index.php?ui=1&sgn=31

scroll down and click on Register, and Register....I checked and I
don't believe you have registered yet...

Then I can make you the Editor of the current Maltese Dictionary
Puddle...

> At the moment I alone am doing the translations,so for now I think the
> Pocket Puddle would be ideal. However in the future if more people are
> involved in the project would it be better to use a Private
> WebPuddle or
> perhaps a Puddle Server?  What product do you think would suit this
> project?

We cannot give you a PocketPuddle right now. We will have to create a
Private WebPuddle for you...it is best for you in the long run
anyway...I will write to you privately about the Private WebPuddle,
with your passwords etc...

> The crucial elements we need are:
> 1. Privacy (security so that only authorised people can view, edit,
> change
> text)

Yes. You have complete security with the Private WebPuddle...I will
establish this with you today...

> 2. Technical support (that we can continue to get feedback when we
> get stuck)

You have that! Here on the SignWriting List...;-)

> 3. Transferable Data (so that we can save and transfer sign written
> texts
> to desktop publishers)

No Problem! We do that everyday into a variety of programs, such as
Microsoft Word, Adobe InDesign, Quark Express, SignBank DocumentMaker
and so forth...you can create and print complete SignWriting documents
and dictionaries in a variety of programs...by creating them in
SignPuddle and then transferring them into other programs...

> 4. and preferably we would like signs written in SignPuddle to be
> exported
> to SignBank so that ultimately they may be included in the LSM
> Dictionary.

No problem! I will teach you how, when the time comes...

> Do you think you could guide us a little? Which product suits us
> best and
> could you also indicate prices and methods of payment. We would like
> get started as soon as possible, we have some rough signwritten texts
> ready to be inputted.

I will create your Private WebPuddle today. We can talk about the cost
in a private email...I will write to you privately next message.

Do not worry about anything...we will work it out...

Thanks for writing and we are happy to welcome the Maltese Sign
Language Bible Projects!

Val ;-)