compounded sings

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Aug 3 19:36:21 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
August 3, 2008

Hello Honza and everyone on the SW List:

Honza and I have been discussing how to write "compound signs" using
SignPuddle software, and I wanted to share with you all how I
personally write a compound sign...

1. I find one of the signs already written in SignPuddle.
2. I copy that one sign, which brings it into SignMaker.
3. Then I write the other signs that are involved in the compound,
directly in SignMaker, and I put the two signs together into one sign.
4. Then I save it to SignPuddle as a new sign.

If it is necessary for me to look at one of the other signs, while I
am re-writing it in SignPuddle, I open a second web browser, and view
the second sign in SignPuddle, while I am creating the compound in
SignMaker using Firefox.

For me, when I write compounds, they usually become more than "two
signs"...they are oftentimes blended into one sign, like the sign for
"DAUGHTER" in ASL, which is really a compound sign that includes the
signs for GIRL and BABY...so I would prefer to write the compounds
manually and adjust them, before saving them as a new sign in
SignPuddle...

Please see attached diagram...

Does this help at all, Honza? Or are there other issues I have not
understood in your question?

Val ;-)