Specific symbol

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Dec 13 16:01:15 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
December 13, 2008

On Dec 13, 2008, at 7:31 AM, Natasha Escalada-Westland wrote:
> What symbol would one use to describe a flat hand, pinky and thumb
> extended to the side and three middle fingers straight and together?
>
> I had a student use this handshape creatively as a classifier in a
> story (to describe a werewolf's head), but I'm not sure there is an
> exact symbol.  I drew one myself and attached it.
>
> What do you think?

Hi Natasha and everyone -

I think your writing is perfect...

You found the closest symbol in the ISWA, which is the Flat Hand with
the Baby Finger extended, and added the thumb...that is the best you
can do, since the exact symbol is not in the ISWA...Symbol
construction is necessary sometimes...;-)