Favicon for signwriting,org

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Dec 21 03:23:30 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
December 20, 2008

On Dec 20, 2008, at 6:40 PM, Cherie Wren wrote:

> Gerard's original idea was something more international-- so far all
> the suggestions come from ASL...  Anyone know more Gestuno or
> something more all inclusive?
>
> I only know ASL, and the most "iconic" sign I know would be the ILY
> handshape... it is the closest thing to being universally known in
> the US, among hearing and Deaf.  Igt would also be simple enough to
> read at that tiny size.
>
> cherie

Thanks, Cherie and Charles and Bill, for your input...

Attached are a few Favicons...one for an online encyclopedia site, and
another a dictionary site...

It seems that using a letter from the Roman Alphabet is popular, like
the W for Wikipedia, but no letter of the Roman alphabet is completely
international, since people in Russia and China use a different way of
writing ;-)

So a "picture" of some kind would be more international than an
alphabetic character...and somehow the I LOVE YOU hand doesn't feel
like it represents "SignWriting" to me...does it you? Maybe the very
first symbol in SignWriting...the index finger with the white
palm...that might be representative of SignWriting in general, not
because it means anything but because it is the first symbol in the
ISWA...

I have no idea what is best for a Favicon that represents all
SignWriting of all sign languages in the world! If someone can design
a good Favicon for SignWriting that we could all use for our sites,
that would be great...