Need for more SignWriting Literature and materials...

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue Dec 23 16:00:39 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
December 23, 2008

Hello Andre!
Thank you for this message below. I am happy to read about your LSQ
curriculum. It sounds wonderful. Congratulations on all you have
accomplished! I will save your message below because I think it is an
important one...

You forgot the schools in Saudi Arabia and Jordan, that had a
SignWriting project, for a statistical study by Dr. Abushaira...Deaf
children learned SignWriting in two different schools in 2002-2007 in
the Middle East, and next week, on December 28th, there will be a
special SignWriting discussion group held in Saudi Arabia, and members
of the Deaf Community and also teachers and educators and researchers
will be there. I am creating links for this event on our web site
now...it is not quite ready, but it will be!

SignWriting in Arabic Nations
http://www.SignWriting.org/arabia

I will tell you more later...

And don't forget Nicaragua...There are several schools still using
SignWriting in Nicaragua, thanks to the efforts of James and Judy
Shepard-Kegl...and they have a long list of books written in
SignWriting...

And there is also the Belgian schools...SignWriting has been taught in
Flemish Sign Language and French-Belgian Sign Language...and they have
some literature written.

And there have also been some attempts in other countries in the
schools, such as in France...

And of course, SignWriting is used by adults all over the
world...there are projects in several countries...Spain is really
active right now...

And we are working on getting more reading materials for teachers...so
I agree you are absolutely correct that it is very hard for your
teachers in LSQ because they do not have enough materials...but in
time let us hope we will have more books to read in many sign
languages...

If we can find the funds, we could hire a skilled SignWriting scribe
to transcribe video storytelling in LSQ to create written materials
for your teachers...would you like that? Do you think you could find a
little funding for that? If so, I can hire someone to write stories
from videos of LSQ stories...then we can create books and send them to
your teachers....

Val ;-)