Sign Language News from AAU, Ethiopia!

Sat Dec 27 15:49:31 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
December 27, 2008

Hello Eyasu, Stefan and everyone!

I too join Stefan in wishing you congratulations! You have worked so
hard on your new Ethiopian Sign Language and Deaf Culture program at
Addis Ababa University, and now it is a reality! That is a big step
forward ;-))

And thank you for posting this information to our SignWriting List
members, and permission to post on the web...I will add this
information to:

SignWriting in Ethiopia
http://www.SignWriting.org/ethiopia

and regarding a teacher for SignWriting, which you mentioned, if there
is funding, we could send a teacher to Ethiopia, but if there is no
funding, we can make arrangements to learn through the internet, web,
email, telephone, videophone and Skype...we just need to setup a
special appointment with your students to get started...

Or start asking questions on the SignWriting List...I added some new
Ethiopian handshape symbols to our International SignWriting Alpabet
(ISWA 2008). I realize there are probably other handshapes that you
will need, when writing Ethiopian Sign Language Literature, but at
least there are more handshapes already constructed for you...take a
look at the symbols in SignPuddle:

SignPuddle for Ethiopian Sign Language
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/index2.html#sgn-ET

And I am happy to ship more SignWriting books and dvds to you in 2009...

Eyasu sent me two reports in PDF format...I will send them next
message to the SW List...

Thank you, Eyasu, and happy holidays everyone!

Val ;-)

---------