Dot for symbol orientation

Jonathan duncanjonathan at YAHOO.CA
Mon Dec 29 18:50:42 UTC 2008

Hi Sandy,

Sandy Fleming wrote:
> André,
>
> Well, the point of the "horseshoe" method was to avoid two unnecessary
> corners in the handshape and so make it faster and easier to write. The
> fact that "fist" handshapes then become less symmetrical and can then be
> written without forearms is just a bonus.
>
> The "circle" hand is already round and making it less symmetrical would
> probably make it harder to write. I really can't think of a solution
> that's any better than just writing the forearms as is already done.
>
> I remember Val saying some time ago that the symmetry of some handshapes
> was a problem for typists: it was easy to forget which orientation was
> being used while typing. What I suggested was that a small round dot or
> similar mark be drawn by the software at the wrist, so as to show the
> orientation. Typists would just see a slight bump at the middle of the
> base of the handshape so that they'd be able to see the orientation, and
> it would be part of the font, the typist wouldn't have to actually type
> it and the reader would see it in every handshape. This would make the
> forearms unnecessary in computer SignWriting, as you're asking.

    I think that a small round dot where the forearms contact the hand
is a great idea too.  It would keeping the data entry straight, which
will be important if someone wants to analyze the signs' symbol
rotations at a latter time.
    I had thought of including a feature like that in my program but I
will have to be for a future version.

Jonathan