Appreciating the cochlear implant

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Dec 6 16:21:42 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
December 6, 2008

Hello Gerard!
Thank you for this message.

Although the cochlear implant is an important subject to understand,
it is technically not related to SignWriting at all...Two very
different subjects. I am not an expert on the physical side of
deafness and the issues that surround it, so I have to leave the
discussion of cochlear implants to others...I hope others can answer
you here on the List...

The cochlear implant does come up sometimes, when discussing writing
sign languages with SignWriting, but that may be a misunderstanding by
the people who are asking the questions...Sign languages are used by
both deaf and hearing people around the world, and are real languages
that would exist, whether there are good hearing aids or not...

One day, a hearing parent who had just given an operation of a
cochlear implant to her deaf child, wrote to tell me that sign
language would fade and die away, because now the cochlear implant was
"curing deafness"...those were her exact words...and the implication
of the email was that SignWriting would therefore not be used, because
sign language itself would die out...

But I explained to her that sign languages are real languages, that
would exist whether there are deaf people in the world or not...of
course it is true that a lot of Deaf cultures use sign languages
because they are necessary and natural, but even if deafness itself
were cured, there will still be people using sign languages in the
world...because they are naturally evolved languages that are used by
many different kinds of people...and therefore, writing those
languages will always be useful.

And last, I don't believe, that every deaf child in the world can
afford such operations, and it is my understanding that in many cases,
even after the cochlear implant is implanted, that the child is still
a deaf child and needs an education like other deaf children...but
that is what I heard from teachers of the deaf...I do not know more
than that ;-))

Thanks again for your question -

Val ;-)