feeble attempt at an unbiased opinion about the cochlear implant...

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Dec 7 16:28:20 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
December 7, 2008

Thank you, Peter, Kelly Jo and all the contributors to this topic on
cochlear implants...No matter what, I suspect we all agree, that with
or without hearing or hearing-supportive-devices, sign languages and
writing sign languages still has value for the world...

So when it comes to sign languages and SignWriting, the invention of
the cochlear implant does not change the need for both.

If, when you are having conversations about SignWriting with someone,
and they mention the cochlear implant as a reason not to write sign
language, be sure to explain to them, that languages, and writing
those languages, are valuable to everyone, no matter whether they are
hearing or deaf...

So SignWriting's existence is not dependent on how many deaf people
there are in the world...It is useful for anyone who uses a sign
language....

smile...

Val ;-)