name sign for Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama

Thiessen Stuart thiessenstuart at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 28 19:56:21 UTC 2008

I haven't seen any specific namesigns for the three either. Or even
for McCain or Huckabee. In my area, political activism ranges from
apathy to full promotion of a particular candidates. Also, events for
many years have not been interpreted which cause some to not be
involved or even try. Lately, I have noticed the Democratic party
being more sensitive to that. For that reason, many politically active
Deaf that I know are mostly Democrats. A few I know are Republican.

Back to namesigns for ASL, I think, in general, few hearing people
have namesigns. My observations have been that namesigns are given
only to those hearing people with whom we come into frequent contact.
Some US presidents have namesigns, but not all. Some namesigns are
invented only for the purpose of school but are never brought into
regular use. Most of the time, the names are fingerspelled. I would
suppose that if a name became used often enough, a namesign would
develop. But again, like Adam says, it would be small pockets of
people whose namesign choices may reflect their bias. :)

Thanks,

Stuart