training of typing interpreters

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 9 18:26:48 UTC 2008

Hi all,
I need some help that has nothing to do with SignWriting

Hope I'm not intruding on anyone's feelings or time by posing this question here:

In
Norway, sign language interpreters are educated by a three year college
study program, after which they are supposed to be able to:

* interpret between spoken Norwegian and Norwegian Sign Language (NTS), for Deaf persons
* interpret between spoken Norwegian and signed Norwegian (for deafened of HH persons)
* interpret between spoken Norwegian and tactile NTS (for Deaf-and-Blind persons)
*
type in real time from spoken Norwegian, either exactly or slightly
altered to adapt to the linguistic needs  of the deaf/ HH customer,
usually at conferences and suchlike

My question concerns this last part:

1: is it common for sign language interpreters in other countries to perform this task?
2: how are the people who do this real time typing educated and trained in other countries?

As
I am connected to one of the colleges that provides this education, I
hope someone (hopefully more than one, form different parts of the
world) can answer. We feel this is too much to cover inside one course,
and that the typing task could be done by somebody else who already was
a good typist and got an introduction to how Deaf people read Norwegian.

Ingvild

Ingvild