Wonderful things happening...Need 3 letters of recommendation

Thu Jan 3 18:09:54 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
January 3, 2007

Dear SW List Members!
I have so much to tell you. Behind the scenes, many good things have
happened, and it is hard to know where to start to tell you all...

Steve and I are working on the release of source code and the ISWA
2008, to be placed on Source Forge. There are so many new developments
related to this project, that again, it would be hard to list them
all, but from the users' point of view, this means in the long run,
that SignWriting will be spreading on the internet faster than before,
and that it will be easier for other programmers to use SignWriting in
their new software, and also on their web sites.

The ISWA 2008 is an international set of symbols, designed to give
signers all over the world, a choice of many handshapes. I would guess
that each signed language probably only needs from 80 to 120
handshapes, to write each signed language properly. But not all signed
languages use the same handshapes, and so the International
SignWriting Alphabet will have 240 handshapes to choose from...

Later, we will develop a way for people to choose the symbols they
want to use just for their signed language, so they are not burdened
to browse through so many handshapes they do not need, but for right
now, you all will view all of them...and some of them are fascinating!
There are some handshapes from Ethiopia I have never seen in my life,
but they are now all entered into the ISWA 2008, which is scheduled
for release this Spring...

Adam Frost and I have been working on editing SignWriting Literature,
and Adam has been doing an excellent job editing ASL literature that
will also be published this Spring...

I have also been writing grants requesting more funds for SignWriting,
plus several very very generous people and foundations have donated
funds to help us complete the two projects mentioned above (software
and literature development). THANK YOU to all of you, for your
kindness and support for SignWriting projects...

One possible source of funding this year requests 3 letters of
recommendations...

In 1999, eight SignWriting users wrote letters of recommendations.
Here they are attached. Thank you to all the authors of these letters!