special DGS handshape in the ISWA

Wed Jun 4 18:02:00 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
June 4, 2008

On Jun 3, 2008, at 3:51 PM, Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
> people say that DGS includes almost 30 handshapes  but several of
> the other handshapes we use to write in SW are not to be found among
> this set either. So – hm – no it is not an officially handshape
> nevertheless we use it for special reasons ... smile...Stefan ;-)

Hello Stefan and Everyone -
This special DGS handshape is quite difficult...Here is my suggestion
for writing it (see attached). The Circle base for the handshape means
that the "thumb and fingertips touch in a circle"...so by using a
Circle Base, we are assuming that the tip of the thumb touches the
tips of the fingers that are "down"...and in this case the fingers
that are down are crossed...

Can you read this symbol? I will be happy to place it in the ISWA if
you feel you can read it ;-))

I personally cannot do this handshape!  Val ;-)