copy paste problem

Thu Jun 5 22:04:10 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
June 5, 2008

Dali balti from Tunisia wrote:
> I have already downloaded the signwriting maker freeware and I have
> made many signs.
> The problem is I can not copy them directly on the signmaker, and it
> takes me much time to make them on line since the internet speed is
> not that good in Tunisia.
> Please would you tell me what to do?
> Thank you

---------

Hello Dali and Everyone!
Thank you for posting your question to the List...Everyone is welcome
to post questions to the List anytime...

And I am happy to know that you are using our free software. Actually
all of our software is free, in one way or another. And each program
has a different name...

I am guessing that you downloaded and are using SignWriter DOS? That
is an older program that works in MS-DOS...is that the program you are
using?

And you want to copy the signs you have already written in SignWriter
DOS, to your new Tunisian SignPuddle Online? Is that correct?

SignPuddle Online for Tunisia
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/index.php?ui=1&sgn=0&sgn=104

I can understand that you need a fast and good internet connection...I
am sorry you do not have that....

So there are two issues....

1. How to copy signs from SignWriter DOS to SignPuddle?...
Answer: It technically cannot be done, because the two programs are
not compatible. The signs in SignWriter DOS can be exported as
graphics, and then those graphics could be pasted into SignPuddle like
illustrations, but they are not considered "real signs" inside
SignPuddle. It is best to re-write all the signs from the beginning in
SignPuddle Online, because then each sign becomes SWML, which means it
can be searched, sorted, edited and so forth...so I am sorry to say
that it is best to re-write all the signs in SignPuddle. And since
SignPuddle is our world-standard software for SignWriting now, it is
best to start using it from now on if possible...

2. How to use SignPuddle without the internet?
Answer: We do have a PocketPuddle, which is a USB stick that plugs
into a Windows computer, and makes it possible to use SignPuddle
offline. Maybe this is your answer? To air mail that to Tunisia would
cost us money, so although SignPuddle is free on the web, the
PocketPuddle does cost something...Here is information about ordering
a PocketPuddle:

PocketPuddle
http://www.suttonshop.com/ecommerce/pages/products_sw_detail.jsp?id=49.0

Sometimes we donate materials to Deaf schools who apply to join our
SignWriting Literacy Project. If you are teaching Deaf people to read
and write with SignWriting, perhaps you would like to apply to join
the SignWriting Literacy Project? There is information on the web:

SignWriting Literacy Project Home
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/teachers/teachers.html

About the SignWriting Literacy Project
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/teachers/teach001.html

We can talk more about that if you are interested...

Write again to the List to ask more questions -

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

2. SignPuddle
Create SignWriting Documents Online
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

3. SignBank
SignWriting Desktop Databases
http://www.SignBank.org

4. SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions to the List

5. SignWriting Literature Project
Writing Literature in Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org/literature

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting