SW presentation on June 11th

Gagnon et Thibeault atg at VIDEOTRON.CA
Wed Jun 18 15:57:22 UTC 2008

Hi Val and everyone,

      Val, you ask me how did a Deaf teacher-researcher give a SignWriting presentation on June 11th?

      You know that Deaf pupils started learning  SW lessons from 8:45 am to 9:20 am, from Monday to Friday, and  from September 2007 to April 2008.  A researcher filmed with a camera in the classroom 6 times and she analysed the data collected.  After April, a Deaf teacher kept teaching them until June 2008.

      At the school, there was 20 professional participants (teachers, superintendent, consultant)   who didn't know any SW.  A Deaf teacher-researcher taught them   a basic SW  during 30 minutes and  they tried to read a LSQ sentence.  Some participants were sucessful to answer correctly with signs.  It seems that they enjoyed learning and reading basic SW symbols.

      You should know  that I selected one example of many finding results from the data collected.  First, the Deaf teacher-researcher found that it wasn't easy for Deaf pupils to read  SW,  but they could read some. Then, she noticed that they  were always interested in trying to read SW,  and were often motivated.  She gave two different tests to Deaf pupils (written (SW) LSQ and LSQ photos, as well as written (SW) LSQ and written French).  She showed a videotape to participants and   asked them to observe one specific  Deaf pupil's behavior.  The participants  noticed that one Deaf pupil had a very different facial attitude  reading written (SW) LSQ, as compared to reading  written French.  For example, when the Deaf teacher gave one test (written LSQ and LSQ photos), one Deaf pupil read it, smiled and answered fast.  When the teacher gave another test (written LSQ and written French), one Deaf pupil read it, was nervous, had a sad facial expression,  and  refused to answer any questions.   One Deaf pupil never liked reading   written French, but she accepted to read  written (SW) LSQ.  I inform you that not only one Deaf pupil, but some Deaf pupils didn't want to read written French.  For Deaf pupils with an open mind, it is positive and comfortable to read written LSQ.

      After the presentation, the next day, a superintendent and a school principal asked a Deaf teacher-researcher if she would like to continue teaching  SW lessons to Deaf pupils during the  2008-2009 school year. I hope  the Deaf teacher-researcher will accept.

      The Deaf teacher-researcher and I hope to be able to give our presentation at Gallaudet University (SW linguistic Society) if the committee  selects us  and  accepts that  our presentation will be held during the Spring semester 2009, or the Fall semester 2009.  We will show some videotapes to the participants.

      Hand waving

      André