SignPuddle: Questions from the Maltese Team

Thu Jun 19 12:27:36 UTC 2008

Hi Maria,

MARIA AZZOPARDI wrote:
> 1) We are planning on using the Maltese Public Puddle for the Dictionary
> Work. The main concern of using this is the possibilty of someone going
> into the Puddle and deleting/editing entries. Is there some way of locking
> the entries so that they can't be deleted by anyone except the author?

This is the default behavior of the public puddles.  Anyone can add and
edit their own signs. Only editors can edit any and all signs.  Valerie
sets up the editors for each puddle.

> 2) Both Karl and Dorianne have been using SignEdit, is there a way to
> transport signs written in SignEdit to the Puddle? I know that signwriting
> saved as JPG's can be pasted in Puddle, however just as a picture not as
> signwriting text. If the signwriting is saved as .swmlt can it be
> transported to the Puddle?

There was and there will be again.  It will be included in SignPuddle 2
due this summer.
> 3) Another question is about the spelling sequence. There question was WHY
> is the sequence important. I had to think a little about this, and then I
> said I think it's for Dictionary that are ordered according to the symbols
> (a sort of Alphabetical order of the symbols), so that you will know how
> to find the sign in a dictionary, i.e which symbol comes first in the
> sign. Is this correct? Are there any other issues about the spelling
> sequence? If so could you direct us to older literature/emails on the
> subject?

The SignSpelling Sequence is used for sorting only.   You are correct.
> 4) Another question is the COPY-SIGN in Puddle. Can we export signs from
> the Maltese Public Puddle to the Private one? We tried doing so, but it
> doesn't work. We have managed to copy signs from one Public Puddle to
> another, just not from the Maltese Public Puddle to the Private one.

The private puddles do not appear on the copy screen, you are right.
I'll talk with Val.  Maybe they should be.

For now, you can trick the software.  First log in.  Then find the sign
to copy and press the copy button.  On the copy screen, instead of
clicking on a flag, enter the following URL:
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/index.php?ui=1&sgn=103

Regards,
-Steve

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu