SignPuddle: Questions from the Maltese Team

Thu Jun 19 13:37:27 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
June 19, 2008

Hello Maltese team, SW List members and Steve!
Thank you, Steve, for already answering these questions...I will
quickly reinforce what you said...

On Jun 19, 2008, at 2:01 AM, MARIA AZZOPARDI wrote:
> 1) We are planning on using the Maltese Public Puddle for the
> Dictionary
> Work. The main concern of using this is the possibilty of someone
> going
> into the Puddle and deleting/editing entries. Is there some way of
> locking
> the entries so that they can't be deleted by anyone except the author?

The Public Puddles are already setup exactly as you want. When a new
person registers in the Public Puddles, they can add their own new
signs, and they can edit their own signs they wrote, and they can
delete the signs that they wrote themselves, but they have no
permission to delete anyone else's writing, or change anyone's
writing...they can only work on their own signs. Then, behind the
scenes, Steve or I can give certain individuals special Editor status.
Editors can change and edit all signs in the dictionary including ones
not written by themselves...so it is just a matter of you telling us
who should be an Editor...so no worries!

> 2) Both Karl and Dorianne have been using SignEdit, is there a way to
> transport signs written in SignEdit to the Puddle? I know that
> signwriting
> saved as JPG's can be pasted in Puddle, however just as a picture
> not as
> signwriting text. If the signwriting is saved as .swmlt can it be
> transported to the Puddle?

Steve answered this. This feature will be built into the new
SignPuddle 2.0 when it is released later this summer.

> 3) Another question is about the spelling sequence. There question
> was WHY
> is the sequence important. I had to think a little about this, and
> then I
> said I think it's for Dictionary that are ordered according to the
> symbols
> (a sort of Alphabetical order of the symbols), so that you will know
> how
> to find the sign in a dictionary, i.e which symbol comes first in the
> sign. Is this correct? Are there any other issues about the spelling
> sequence? If so could you direct us to older literature/emails on the
> subject?

Yes. Exactly. The SignSpelling Sequences make it possible to sort
dictionaries by SignWriting symbols...and the SignSpelling Sequences
also help Steve program in other ways...for example, when we Search by
Signs or Search by Symbol Frequency in SignPuddle, and a long list of
signs appears on the screen...if the SignSpelling data is entered for
those signs in the list, then the list is "sorted by SignWriting's
alphabetical order"...which we oftentimes call the
SignSymbolSequence....so the SignSpellings are useful whenever there
are lists of signs that need to be sorted...so you can find all the
signs that use the Index Finger first etc...

> 4) Another question is the COPY-SIGN in Puddle. Can we export signs
> from
> the Maltese Public Puddle to the Private one? We tried doing so, but
> it
> doesn't work. We have managed to copy signs from one Public Puddle to
> another, just not from the Maltese Public Puddle to the Private one.

It is important that you do not use the EXPORT Command. The EXPORT
Command is used for other things...

When we want to COPY one sign from one puddle to another, we use the
COPY Command. It is in your Reference Manual. You will have to COPY
one sign at a time, not multiple signs at a time...and as you say
above, you have already done that before...

Maybe someday Steve will build in a way to copy multiple signs at a
time, but we do not have that feature yet...so copy one at a time,
using the icons for your puddles...

I just sent a message showing you where the flag-icons are located for
the private web puddles...you click on the icon for the private
Maltese web puddle to copy a sign from one puddle into your Maltese
private web puddle. Here is the diagram again: