SignPuddle: Questions from the Maltese Team

MARIA AZZOPARDI maria.azzopardi at UM.EDU.MT
Thu Jun 19 09:01:38 UTC 2008

Dear Valerie,

Yesterday I had a meeting with members of the LSM project team, Karl and
Dorianne, where I tried to disseminate what I've learnt so far from your
help with Puddle.

A few questions were raised, and I promised I would send an email asking
the List for a clarification.

1) We are planning on using the Maltese Public Puddle for the Dictionary
Work. The main concern of using this is the possibilty of someone going
into the Puddle and deleting/editing entries. Is there some way of locking
the entries so that they can't be deleted by anyone except the author?

2) Both Karl and Dorianne have been using SignEdit, is there a way to
transport signs written in SignEdit to the Puddle? I know that signwriting
saved as JPG's can be pasted in Puddle, however just as a picture not as
signwriting text. If the signwriting is saved as .swmlt can it be
transported to the Puddle?

3) Another question is about the spelling sequence. There question was WHY
is the sequence important. I had to think a little about this, and then I
said I think it's for Dictionary that are ordered according to the symbols
(a sort of Alphabetical order of the symbols), so that you will know how
to find the sign in a dictionary, i.e which symbol comes first in the
sign. Is this correct? Are there any other issues about the spelling
sequence? If so could you direct us to older literature/emails on the
subject?

4) Another question is the COPY-SIGN in Puddle. Can we export signs from
the Maltese Public Puddle to the Private one? We tried doing so, but it
doesn't work. We have managed to copy signs from one Public Puddle to
another, just not from the Maltese Public Puddle to the Private one.

There was also a question on how-to-spell something, but I think I'll post
this one later in another email,

Thanks for all your continual support. I know you are very busy at the
moment recording SignWriting lessons so there is no rush to answer this
email, but I thought I'd best send the questions while they are still
fresh in my mind.

God bless,
Maria and the rest of the team :)

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu