A song in South African sign??

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 4 14:39:29 UTC 2008

Wow, that would be a challenge.  I have sung Singabahambo and Asikatale in my own choruses.  Seeing it in Zulu sign would be a triumph.

Charles

Kimberley Shaw <skifoot at gmail.com> wrote: Hello Signwriters:
It has been a long while since I've posted to the list! My ASL studies
continue, although not within a formal interpreter-training program,
alas. But all the same, I am developing an ASL version of my chorus'
five standing-repertory songs, with plenty of advice from fluent
ASL-speaking Deafies in my area. (My hard-of-hearing ears wanna
vacation from singing!)
So, here is my query.
One of these songs, "Singabahambayo", has its first verse sung
entirely in Zulu before we go into English translation of its first
and second verses. Are any of you Signwriters able and/or willing to
transcribe a version of this song's first verse in South African
Sign?? Does it already have an established Sign form? I have no idea
how many deaf folk got involved with the South African freedom
movement ...
Best,
Kim from Boston

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu