A song in South African sign??

Shane Gilchrist O hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 5 14:24:48 UTC 2008

Val,

DEAFSA says that there is ONE signed language i.e. South Africa Sign
Language - I think the reason is that South Africa's constitution says
that there is 11 official languages following:

1. Afrikaans
2. English
3. Ndebele (isiNdebele)
4. Northern Sotho (Sesotho sa Leboa)
5. Sotho (Sesotho)
6. Swati (siSwati)
7. Tsonga (Xitsonga)
8. Tswana (Setswana)
9. Venda (Tshivenḓa)
10. Xhosa (isiXhosa)
11. Zulu (isiZulu).

Their Constitution also recognises a further nine non-official
"national languages" including South African Sign Language.

I guess the idea was that there is Signed English, Signed Afrikaans
etc etc - but theyre not real languages - just using SASL signs to
accompany the spoken words etc in the language used i.e. Signed Xhosa
(if such one does exist!) so there is no 11 signed languages in South
Africa - just several main dialects.

There's influence from several signed languages such as ASL, BSL and
Irish Sign Language - theres a school somewhere in South Africa that
uses ISL-influenced SASL its as if they were educated in Dublin
instead! (although some signs would give them away!)

Shane x