opening and closing fingers one at a time...

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Mar 17 01:26:05 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
March 16, 2008

Isn't this fun!

Interesting to see how closely two skilled signwriters wrote
this...Stefan and Adam...

I would write "from the Center and out" like we do with our other
Movement Symbols...In this case, the way you are writing it, the
beginning and ending handshape is being written once...so the
beginning movement would be closest to the beginning handshape...which
is also the ending handshape...eeeeek ;-))

what is odd about this, is that originally those symbols were designed
for open spread fingers, but now we are applying it to a closed hand,
and assuming the spread fingers are in the middle! which is ok...just
a new slant on an old symbol...

Let me play with this a little more and I promise I will get back to
you...it may be a few hours however...

I can sort of see why Steve Parkhurst just wrote with a single trill
up and a single trill down and didn't worry about which fingers open
first, second or third!