Peter DeHaas - ASL Transcription for Linguistics Course

Peter DeHaas petercdehaas at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Mar 21 01:49:33 UTC 2008

The class is a required course for the MA in Linguistics its called
Semantics & Pragmatics.
The course is offered through the University of Colorado in Boulder
where I attend.

The document was created as a part of a transcription project for a
language that we're fluent or very proficient in.
I chose ASL because that is my area of focus.  I taped a two minute
video of me and my friend JJ who is a CODA.

This was my first sign-writing experience.  My professor encouraged me
to try this way because she thought it would give a more accurate
representation of the language.  In most cases, people transcribing
ASL do so with English words in ASL word order, and then add
appropriate notions denoting gesture, facial expression, intonation,
etc.  In some ways this devalues the rich visual and expressive side
of ASL.

I must say, the project was pretty daunting at first.  I started
playing with the sign-writing format, asked Valerie for lots of help.
Without Valerie, I don't think I could have done it with such a time
crunch.  Now I feel like I could at least help others get started.
Very cool concept, very cool program.  With Valerie's support and
encouragement, I jumped in the "puddles" feet first.  Trial and error,
learning through experience, and patience, these are all helpful when
learning the sign writing format.

Again, I only transcribed a two minute conversation in ASL and it was
over 20 pages front and back.  The notations in the left hand column
denote (2.0) = pause, [ brackets ]= overlap, I also wrote in
background noises which probably wasn't necessary, but is necessary in
a spoken transcription.

Attached is the PDF.  Please credit me if you do you my data.  Thank-
you.

Also, if interested, I can post the actual video too!

Best to you all, feel free to email me any questions, or forward any
feedback on the transcription itself.

Peter DeHaas