Peter DeHaas - ASL Transcription for Linguistics Course

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 21 19:25:41 UTC 2008

I was not able to open your pdf ...Ingvild

From: petercdehaas at earthlink.netTo: sutton at signwriting.orgDate: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 19:49:33 -0600CC: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.eduSubject: [sw-l] Re: Peter DeHaas - ASL Transcription for Linguistics Course
The class is a required course for the MA in Linguistics its called Semantics & Pragmatics.
The course is offered through the University of Colorado in Boulder where I attend.

The document was created as a part of a transcription project for a language that we're fluent or very proficient in.
I chose ASL because that is my area of focus.  I taped a two minute video of me and my friend JJ who is a CODA.

This was my first sign-writing experience.  My professor encouraged me to try this way because she thought it would give a more accurate representation of the language.  In most cases, people transcribing ASL do so with English words in ASL word order, and then add appropriate notions denoting gesture, facial expression, intonation, etc.  In some ways this devalues the rich visual and expressive side of ASL.

I must say, the project was pretty daunting at first.  I started playing with the sign-writing format, asked Valerie for lots of help.  Without Valerie, I don't think I could have done it with such a time crunch.  Now I feel like I could at least help others get started.  Very cool concept, very cool program.  With Valerie's support and encouragement, I jumped in the "puddles" feet first.  Trial and error, learning through experience, and patience, these are all helpful when learning the sign writing format.

Again, I only transcribed a two minute conversation in ASL and it was over 20 pages front and back.  The notations in the left hand column denote (2.0) = pause, [ brackets ]= overlap, I also wrote in background noises which probably wasn't necessary, but is necessary in a spoken transcription.

Attached is the PDF.  Please credit me if you do you my data.  Thank-you.

Also, if interested, I can post the actual video too!

Best to you all, feel free to email me any questions, or forward any feedback on the transcription itself.

Peter DeHaas