SignWriting materials donated to Ethiopian Deaf teacher

Eyasu Tamene eyasuh at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 28 05:39:23 UTC 2008

  Dearest Val and Eliza and all,

  Many greetings after so long.  I have been attending the network discussion behind the scene and I feel so happy that Eliza become interested to contact you and join the forum.

  Here in Addis Ababa University we give awareness raising, non-credit, free of charge, course in ESL and Deaf Culture to the university community. The program is given every Saturday morning and Eliza is one of the Deaf teachers.  She came to our office and saw the SW materials and felt happy to be well aware of it and I hope Val satisfied her need, smile.

  As part of my class, I give Introduction to ESL and Deaf Culture for the undergraduate linguistics students. Sign Writing was given as part of the course and exam.  The students become inspired and got the basics of SW.  Attached you may see one of my student, Ahmed, practicing the SW symbols in the class.  Val, would it be possible to post it in the Ethiopia web?

  Our BA in ESL and Deaf Culture program is hopfully to be lounched by the coming Sept' 2008.  The department is happy to invite individuals, institutions and organizations for a partnership cooperation.  For more information please contact the Department Chairperson:
     Dr. Hirut WoldeMariam
     Email- hirutwoldemariam at yahoo.com

     Dr Moges Yigezu, Head of the Project
     Email- mogesyigezu at yahoo.com.au

  Best Regards,
  Eyasu

DAC SignWriting <dac at signwriting.org> wrote:
    SignWriting List
  March 26, 2008

  Hello Elizabeth!

  Thank you for your request for SignWriting books for your Deaf students (your message is below)...

  I have prepared the box for you, with books, a video and a DVD, so your students can learn SignWriting.

  I ask you to please fill out this form (see below), and email it back to the SignWriting List...Many thanks!

  This is a requirement for all teachers who request donated materials...The materials are completely free, once we receive your information written in the form below...

  Many blessings - Val ;-)

  -------

    Teacher's Report for
  Joining the SignWriting Literacy Project

  Public Information
  The purpose of the SignWriting Literacy Project is to share information with the general public about the use of SignWriting in education.  Educators need to know if SignWriting can aid in teaching literacy.  We are grateful that you are interested in providing information,  which we hope will help future generations.

  All the information you write in this report will be public  information. It is therefore very important not to reveal any private information that should not be made public.

  Before we send you the donated SignWriting materials for your classroom, we would like to know a little about why you chose to participate. Please fill out this form and email it to the SignWriting List.

  Please fill our this form...

  For Participating Teachers

  1. Why do you want to learn SignWriting?

  2. What have been some of your past frustrations when teaching?

  3. Are you hoping that SignWriting might help? If so,  in what way?

  4. The SignWriting Teacher's Forum has a free web page for you and your students, to use in anyway you wish, just as  long as it relates to SignWriting. For example, you can post  your opinions about SignWriting, or you can post student's writing  assignments. How would you like to use your web page?

  5. Please write any other information about your group that you would like to share. You are welcome to write as much  as you wish! Human interest stories will help us get to know  you. It will make following your progress with SignWriting that  much more exciting!

  Valerie Sutton and the Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting have my full permission to post this report to the SignWriting Email List, and on the SignWriting Web Site.

  Signature & School Address of Teacher:

  Date of Signature

   When you have completed this web report, please email it to:

  DAC at SignWriting.org

  and

  the SignWriting List
  SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

  Valerie Sutton
  Sutton at SignWriting.org

  -------------

  On Mar 3, 2008, at 4:13 AM, Elizabeth Meshesha Moges wrote:     Dear Sir
  Thank you so much for your message. Sorry,i don`t have got picture Ethiopia of sign language and video but we will plan picture and video Ethiopia sign language.
  Could you send me sign writing book or other through my post Please? I want to read it for daily so i give to you it,
  My address is...
  Elizabeth Meshesha
  P.O.box 27306
  Addis Ababa