a sandbank for SignWriting

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun May 11 14:55:43 UTC 2008

Sandbank, like Sandbox, would be a scratch pad to be able to temporarily save an effort in sign writing, and not have it go to SignBank or the SignPuddle.

This is a place to practice signwriting, but not have it go into a dictionary but be like a writing pad, a place to construct a sign with the software (as opposed to writing it on paper), save it in sort of a little private box so you can have it to look at, but not have it go into the online SignPuddle or SignBank until they have a final copy. Right now, we have to have multiple versions in the SignPuddle that then have to be edited out.

Charles

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote: SignWriting List
May 11, 2008

Carl Jones from the UK wrote:
> First, congratulations on the SignWriting Image Server.  It's
> looking awesome. :-)

Thank you, Carl...I am sure that Steve will be glad to know you feel
that way... I agree. Steve did an awesome job!

> I was wondering.  In BSL, or at least in my dialect, the sign for
> 'poor' is scratching your elbow.  How would you write this? How do
> you write that something has contact with the fingernails, not the
> fingers?

We have a similar sign for POOR in American Sign Language...The
fingers brush twice at the elbow. See two ways of writing that ASL
sign here:

Although in the general Sutton Movement Writing system, we can
differentiate between fingertips and fingerpads, we have never written
the fingernail...I personally cut my fingernails down to the bone, so
that I have no fingernails, and I often wear gloves when I sign for
medical reasons, yet I can still sign...so I am sure that "fingertip"
is enough information...and whether it is the nail or not, would not
change the meaning of the sign...

In the UK, I know that you pronounce the word "schedule" differently
than we do here in the US, but our two countries still spell (write)
the word "schedule" with the same or similar spellings, even though we
pronounce the same word differently, so we do not write with enormous
detail for everyday use in English either...what matters is...is there
another sign in BSL that has a different meaning, if the person had
fingernails or not? I doubt that ;-)

So fingertips is enough information, rather than fingernail!

> The BSL sign for 'when' involves drumming your fingers against your
> face-from pinkie to index.  How on earth would you write that?

We definitely can write that! No problem...see attached diagram here:

> Finally, I was wondering if it's possible to make a 'sandbank' for
> SignWriting, so you can practise signing and don't have to save it?

What is a sandbank? Do you mean a SignBank?

What do you mean by "don't have to save it"?...smile

We do have a program called "SignBank"...

SignBank
http://www.SignBank.org

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help