SignPuddle questions

Tue May 13 20:04:31 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
May 13, 2008

On May 12, 2008, at 2:31 PM, MARIA AZZOPARDI wrote:
> 5. Is there a way to 'save-as-you-go' in SignText. I'm inputting text
> verse by verse. I save the work when I come to the end of the verse.
> Is it
> possible to save the work half-way through and to keep working?

Hello Maria!
Yes, we can save as we go...and add to the saved document later. Just
push the SAVE button in the Editor. Later you can re-open that
document to add more if you want...

However, at present, in SignPuddle 1.5, it is best not to make a
document too long, for other technical reasons...

This is how we did the 21 chapters of the Gospel According to John in
ASL:

1. Each verse of each chapter was created as a separate document, and
added to the private ASL Bible Puddle. We named them like this:

John15v06
John15v07
John15v08
John15v09
John15v10

and so forth...that way you can search and find all the documents in
John15 etc...

2. Then each verse starts with the signs: VERSE ___.

We write the sign for VERSE and the number of the verse with a period
following at the beginning, all in ASL, and then start writing the
actual verse after that...This helps the reader know what verse they
are reading......see attached...it says VERSE 2. in ASL...

Then later, after you have written and saved all the verses, each
verse as a separate document, later we put them all together in a book
layout, using either SignBank DocumentMaker, a program we developed,
or in Microsoft Word...and one verse will follow after the
other...each verse has its number at the top of each verse, so there
is no mistaking how to put the book together...

Want to see an example of this? We have a "first draft version" of the
first three chapters of John, available for download on the web:

SignWriting Bible Passages in ASL
Romero Translation
http://www.signwriting.org/library/bible/

Download the first document John 1-3

That document was prepared in SignPuddle as described above, and then
I used ColumnMaker and DocumentMaker to prepare the layout of the
book. When the time comes, I will be happy to teach you how...