Deaf school (Denmark)

Thu May 22 03:13:39 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
May 21, 2008

Andre from French-Canada wrote:
> Hi Val and everyone,
> I am curious if you have a 80 pages published report (English) from
> Denmark (Research Project at the Deaf school,"Instruction in
> SignWriting/Sign Language", 1985).
> Kind regards,
> André

Hello Andre!
I am sorry to tell you I only have the book in Danish, and although I
could easily translate it myself into English, and so could several
other friends of mine, the translation never got done...so it is still
only in Danish...but I agree it would be great to have an English
version and in time I will try to get the whole Danish book scanned in
so we can do the translation quickly...

See below for the description of the Danish publication...

-----------

Research Project At The Deaf School
At Randersgade, Copenhagen, Denmark, 1985
"Instruction In SignWriting/Sign Language"

Forsogsprojekt Paa Doveskolen
I Randersgade Kobenhavn, Danmark, 1985
"Undervisning I Tegnskrift/Tegnsprog"

AUTHORS:
Ivan Bentzen, Dietgard Glebke, Inger Kjaer, Bente Sparrevohn

Published by:
Copenhagen's School System Research Department
Kobenhavns kommunale Skolevaesen Forsogsafdelingen
ISBN: 87-7346-145-8

     This is an 80-page published report from Denmark. SignWriting was
taught to Deaf children in the Danish School System in the 1980's.
This report summarizes the results and is quite detailed.

     The report is written in Danish and Danish Sign Language. The
teachers state their objectives, discuss the children, show examples
of their work, and then summarize with the results and opinions from
the participants. There are also specific examples of how they taught
SignWriting, what was hard, what was easy, and so forth.

     I will be happy to translate the Danish into English, and publish
the report on our SignWriting Web Site, but first I will write to the
publishers and authors for permission. So hopefully that will happen
in the future!

     For further information, write to me :-)

     Valerie Sutton
     DAC at SignWriting.org