Deaf school (Denmark)

Sun May 25 19:43:51 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
May 25, 2008

Hello Ingvild!
Of course, I will look for the old book and try to scan it, or perhaps
I can order a copy from the publishers in Denmark and get another copy
of the original book...it would be very nice of you to translate it,
although I realize it is no small task...even a small portion of it
translated and posted would be a gift...so I will get back to you -
many thanks for the offer, Ingvild!

Val ;-)

--------------

On May 25, 2008, at 11:59 AM, Ingvild Roald wrote:
> Could you manange to have it scanned and sent to me? (As you know,
> we read Danish as well as Norwegian ...)
> Sounds very interesting to have even more research / serious reports
> on SignWriting to support the use in schools
> Ingvild
>

> From: sutton at signwriting.org
> To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
> Subject: Re: [sw-l] Deaf school (Denmark)
> Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 20:13:39 -0700
>
> SignWriting List
> May 21, 2008
>
> Andre from French-Canada wrote:
> Hi Val and everyone,
> I am curious if you have a 80 pages published report (English) from
> Denmark (Research Project at the Deaf school,"Instruction in
> SignWriting/Sign Language", 1985).
> Kind regards,
> André
>
> Hello Andre!
> I am sorry to tell you I only have the book in Danish, and although
> I could easily translate it myself into English, and so could
> several other friends of mine, the translation never got done...so
> it is still only in Danish...but I agree it would be great to have
> an English version and in time I will try to get the whole Danish
> book scanned in so we can do the translation quickly...
>
> See below for the description of the Danish publication...
>
> -----------
>

> Research Project At The Deaf School
> At Randersgade, Copenhagen, Denmark, 1985
> "Instruction In SignWriting/Sign Language"
>
> Forsogsprojekt Paa Doveskolen
> I Randersgade Kobenhavn, Danmark, 1985
> "Undervisning I Tegnskrift/Tegnsprog"
>
> AUTHORS:
> Ivan Bentzen, Dietgard Glebke, Inger Kjaer, Bente Sparrevohn
>
> Published by:
> Copenhagen's School System Research Department
> Kobenhavns kommunale Skolevaesen Forsogsafdelingen
> ISBN: 87-7346-145-8
>

>     This is an 80-page published report from Denmark. SignWriting
> was taught to Deaf children in the Danish School System in the
> 1980's. This report summarizes the results and is quite detailed.
>
>     The report is written in Danish and Danish Sign Language. The
> teachers state their objectives, discuss the children, show examples
> of their work, and then summarize with the results and opinions from
> the participants. There are also specific examples of how they
> taught SignWriting, what was hard, what was easy, and so forth.
>
>     I will be happy to translate the Danish into English, and
> publish the report on our SignWriting Web Site, but first I will
> write to the publishers and authors for permission. So hopefully
> that will happen in the future!
>
>     For further information, write to me :-)
>
>     Valerie Sutton
>     DAC at SignWriting.org

> Change Email Settings

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

2. SignPuddle
Create SignWriting Documents Online
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

3. SignBank
SignWriting Desktop Databases
http://www.SignBank.org

4. SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions to the List

5. SignWriting Literature Project
Writing Literature in Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org/literature

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting