Announcing: the SignWriting Image Server beta

Fri May 2 14:20:16 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
May 2, 2008

CONGRATULATIONS, Steve, on this remarkable software development. We
are SO fortunate to have this opportunity for new and improved
software in 2008! Thank you for your unending hard work and creative
solutions.

I feel very fortunate, because without your specially-designed testing
software which you have provided for me behind the scenes, I would not
be able to develop the symbols of the International SignWriting
Alphabet (ISWA) so easily. It is just amazing for me to be able to
test the new symbols, so that we are sure that old documents will
automatically convert to the new symbols when they are installed into
the new SignPuddle...really a great experience for me all around...and
exciting to see the conversion before my eyes as I test the symbols.

So everyone, as you can see by Steve's schedule mentioned below, Steve
and I are working together to ensure that you will be able to start
using the new ISWA 2008 seamlessly...without having to re-write
anything...when the ISWA is installed into SignPuddle.

And the MediaWiki Plugin, which Steve mentions below, will make it
possible for us to write Wikipedia-style encyclopedia articles in the
Sign Languages of the world, writing and posting articles directly in
SignWriting symbols....This will start a series of new projects, that
will continue for years to come. Writing an encyclopedia in ASL for
example, both online and in book form, will be an important project
that will provide educational materials for schools and employment for
signwriters...

So there is much to be thankful for...

Thanks again, Steve!

Val ;-)

-----------------

On May 2, 2008, at 6:59 AM, Steve Slevinski wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I'm happy to announce the beta version of the SignWriting Image
> Server:
> http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/swis
>
> This is an open source project for web servers that creates
> SignWriting images.  The code in licensed under the GPL v3.  The
> SignWriting font for the ISWA 2008 is licensed under the Open Font
> License.  The main SWIS document is licensed under Creative Commons
> (by-sa).
>
> The SignWriting Image Server does not create the content for web
> pages; it displays the content that has already been created.  Once
> I update SignPuddle for the ISWA 2008, it will use SWIS and be able
> to generate SWIS ready content.  After that, I'll be working on the
> open source SignText plug-in that will also use SWIS.
>
> You can download the project.  It requires a web server with PHP and
> the GD graphics library.  The download is 11 MB and contains over 33
> thousand files.
> http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/swis.zip
>
> I'm expecting to have the Release Candidate 1 ready by the end of
> the month.  I should have the ISWA version of SignPuddle ready to
> test by that time.  Val and I have been working on a conversion
> routine from the IMWA to the ISWA that is currently 99.9% accurate.
>
> I'm excited for the open standards.  We will have a MediaWiki plugin
> sometime this summer.  What fun!
>
> Regard,
> -Steve

> Change Email Settings

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

2. SignPuddle
Create SignWriting Documents Online
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

3. SignBank
SignWriting Desktop Databases
http://www.SignBank.org

4. SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions to the List

5. SignWriting Literature Project
Writing Literature in Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org/literature

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting