Spammers created concern but all is ok, thank goodness!

Wed May 7 15:28:12 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
May 7, 2008

Dear SW Listers...

I am posting this message for Eyasu Tamene Hailu, from Ethiopia,
because last night I received an urgent message that appeared to be
directly from Eyasu, asking for help, but I realized that it might be
spam, but I wasn't sure...

So I wrote to some of Eyasu's friends to ask if all was ok...and today
Eyasu, who is fine, found soooo many messages asking if he is ok?! So
at least we all know that Eyasu has many friends who care about him...

This particular email, which is posted below, is from the real Eyasu,
explaining about the spammers who stole his address and made all his
friends worry about him...

I wonder...do any of you know about internet policing? This was close
to be a criminal act. I believe, having researched it a little, that
it really came from Nigeria and they somehow stole Eyasu's email
address on Yahoo...

Who could we contact to report such a crime?

Any information will be welcome -  Val ;-)

-----------

Real message from Eyasu this morning:

From: "Eyasu Tamene" <tusaye11 at gmail.com>
Date: May 7, 2008 8:00:26 AM PDT

Dear all,

I have found a spam message in my and all my distinguished contacts'
box which has the following message:

> I hope this message finds you in best of health. I had travelled to
> Nigeria for official purposes, Unfortunately for me all my money was
> stolen at the hotel where I lodged, I am so confused right now, I
> dont know what to do or where to go,I didn't bring my phone here, I
> have access to only emails, Please can you send me $3000 dollars
> today so I can return home, As soon as I get home I would refund it
> immediately.Write me so I can let you know how to send it. Keep this
> to your self only please!!. Thanks
>
> Warm Regards,
> Eyasu

Well, I tried to inform some of my contacts earlier. But this is
completely a SPAM message and I was not using the email in that
address. I am in Addis Ababa. I didn't go any where and lost nothing.
Many of my contacts are asking me through phone if I really am
251911420767.

So please disregard the message and don't send any via that address
anymore.  I will no longer be using the eyasuh at yahoo.com account.  For
further contact you may use the tusaye11 at gmail.com .

To make it more informative, Kindly read the message below I am having
from my contacts.

Hello Minasse, Stefan and Elizabeth and Eyasu and Dr. Woldemariam -
I just received a very unusual message from someone who says he is
Eyasu Tamene...I cannot be sure if it is a real message or not...it
might be a trick, or it might be real...

I am worried and wonder if you think this is a real message? It says
not to show this to anyone, but then the person tried to post it to
the SignWriting List which has 200 people on it...I stopped it before
it was posted...

It is possible that someone stole Eyasu's email address to send
this...or perhaps Eyasu is really in trouble?

Do you know if Eyasu traveled to Nigeria? Below is the message...

What do you suggest we do? Val ;-)

-------------

Begin forwarded message:
From: Eyasu Tamene <eyasuh at yahoo.com>
Date: May 6, 2008 6:20:36 PM PDT
To: eyasuh at yahoo.com
Subject: An Emergency Message

I hope this message finds you in best of health. I had travelled to
Nigeria for official purposes, Unfortunately for me all my money was
stolen at the hotel where I lodged, I am so confused right now, I dont
know what to do or where to go,I didn't bring my phone here, I have
access to only emails, Please can you send me $3000 dollars today so I
can return home, As soon as I get home I would refund it
immediately.Write me so I can let you know how to send it. Keep this
to your self only please!!. Thanks

Warm Regards,
Eyasu

Thank you for your kind concern reading my message and hope you will
act accordingly
Hope to read you soon in my new address
Sincerely yours
Eyasu