Writing scratching and drumming fingers, and asandbank for SignWriting

Sun May 11 16:23:21 UTC 2008

On May 11, 2008, at 8:16 AM, Stuart Thiessen wrote:

> Well, the difference is that with ASL, we are using the pads of the
> fingers rather than the fingernails or finger tips. Theoretically,
> you could have a sign that distinguishes between finger pads and
> finger tips. :)
>
> If so, what to do?
> --------------------
> Stuart Thiessen

If the meaning of a sign changes with the minor difference of the tips
of the fingers versus pads of fingers, it would mean the difference in
handshape from the fingers being a little more bent to get the tips of
the fingers on the surface, to the fingers being a little more
straight to get the pads of the fingers on the surface...so I would
think just changing the handshape would be enough information for
everyday use to give us enough information to read the two different
signs...

Here in this diagram are the tips of the fingers scratching the tip of
the elbow in a drumroll-like fashion...it is in the BSL SignPuddle for
Great Britain: