Workshop on phonetic notation of SLs

Wed May 21 21:39:03 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
May 21, 2008

Some of my thoughts on this...

I don't believe that Gallaudet backs any one writing system...The
University has many different research labs and courses on campus. At
the same time that Robert Johnson and Scott Liddell developed their
Movement Hold system in the 1980s, Dr. Stokoe had his own lab on the
Gallaudet campus too, using his Stokoe notation...so Gallaudet housed
both systems side by side on the same campus...at the same time that
we presented a SignWriting workshop there in 1984...so Gallaudet
University generally gives many ideas related to deafness and signed
languages, a chance for expression, and in that sense, it is a
wonderful place!

For years there was a lab for Cued Speech on Gallaudet Campus, at the
same time that they also housed labs for SEE Signing and ASL...so even
signing systems and languages are side by side on campus too...and it
doesn't mean that the University "backs" any one system...they just
provide the place for all of us to share with each other...a major
service for mankind.

Thank you for your write up, Charles, below. Maybe you should inform
the people who are behind SLIPA about SignWriting...they may not
realize what you mentioned below...smile...

Typing SignWriting with a keyboard can still be done in SignWriter DOS
and Java, which is still downloaded and used on old computers, plus
typing will make a comeback in the future with modern software too, in
time...we are just overwhelmed with work, that's all...meanwhile, some
people enjoy "drag and drop" with a mouse and are learning a lot from
that approach as well...I personally like both methods, but in some
ways I prefer the mouse "drag and drop" system...because some people
find it easier and get started using SignWriting faster...

And I am happy about the new date for the SignWriting conference for
October 2009...That is terrific. Many thanks for setting all this up -

Val ;-)

-----------

On May 21, 2008, at 1:54 PM, Charles Butler wrote:

> Going to the man's own work I find this illuminating note:
>
> A: Hopefully SLIPA can be modified to handle any feature of any
> signed language. This doesn't mean that it can currently handle
> every feature. Why? To put it bluntly, my knowledge of signed
> languages is limited. I know not enough ASL, and only what I've read
> from books or learned first-hand from Dr. Perlmutter. Unlike with
> spoken languages, you can't simply go to a community college and
> learn BSL, or SLN, or TSL, or JSL, or SSL. I don't even know if you
> could do this at Gallaudet University. (No, I see that you can't:
> "Although the department does not offer formal instruction in
> foreign sign, it does introduce students to selected elements of
> foreign sign language." Go here for their page on foreign language
> instruction, from which the preceding quote was extracted.) Further,
> cross-linguistic studies of the sign languages of the world are all
> but absent from the field of linguistics.
>
> Only SignWriting can truly be used "easily" to compare movement to
> movement sign for sign between signed languages.  Some of the finer
> comparisons that, for example, appeared at the Theoretical Issues in
> Sign Language Research conference would have been MUCH more easy to
> understand had they been written in SignWriting.  The comparisons
> would have been instant, not going on for pages.
>
> Does a sign repeat the handshape, or the articulation, or the same
> shape over several places.  SignWriting does this quickly and
> easily.  Changing articulation points in the SLIPA system is the
> most complex I've imagined, and I honestly feel that Gallaudet has
> deliberately stuck itself into a linear landscape with language
> because they have never thought of actually programming a writing
> system in two dimensions.  Only SignWriting does that, and now with
> the Wikipedia we may be able to show people communicating back and
> forth in their own signed languages.
>
> The interface to the system is still mouse-based, and I wish it were
> keyboarded, because then one would begin to memorize where things
> were and could type as fast as one could sign.
>
> Charles
>
> Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
> SignWriting List
> May 21, 2008
>
> Hello Ingvild!
> Thanks for this message....This event mentioned below is related to
> the Scott Liddell and Robert Johnson system from the 1980's...it is
> a linguistically-based notation system ...nothing like SignWriting
> and could not be used for writing Sign Language Literature..it is
> not a true writing system for daily use...I met the inventors years
> ago....when I taught a workshop on SignWriting at Gallaudet
> University in 1984, I had lunch with Scott Lilddell and Bob
> Johnson...they teach linguistics at the Linguistics dept at
> Gallaudet ...at least they did at the time...and it is not like the
> [...]

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

2. SignPuddle
Create SignWriting Documents Online
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

3. SignBank
SignWriting Desktop Databases
http://www.SignBank.org

4. SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions to the List

5. SignWriting Literature Project
Writing Literature in Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org/literature

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting