Sign Bible: Expertise

Stuart Thiessen thiessenstuart at AOL.COM
Tue Nov 18 17:19:04 UTC 2008

Another Bible Translation resource is D.O.O.R. International (www.doorinternational.com
). I recently joined DOOR to be a part of their translation work. In
our translation projects, we work with national Deaf teams. We train
them on how to translate the text, they work on the translation, and
we work with them to refine it.  Several of our staff including me (4
Deaf and 3 hearing - all hearing are fluent in at least one SL) are
being trained as translation consultants so that we have the training
to review Bible translations and provide feedback in what's called an
exegetical check. The exegetical check checks whether or not the
translation is an accurate reflection of the biblical text. We also
assist in community checks from time to time. A community check is a
process where you see if the translation is understood by other people
in the community. These two checks are part of the process to make
sure you have a translation that is CANA (Clear, Accurate, Natural,
and Acceptable). Besides DOOR's work, I also have personal contacts
with 4 other Bible translation projects and I have friends involved in
several other organizations who work with Bible translation.

If I can help with questions, feel free to email me.

Thanks,

Stuart