HAMBURGER

Adam Frost icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 19 18:03:33 UTC 2008

Sorry that you couldn't see my writing. Val has it in her email she
just sent. I think I understand what you are thinking. Here is
something that helped me.

First thing you have to realize is that there are some handshapes that
are a little different, but mean the same thing. Such is the case
here. Here are pairs of the same palm orientations.

  "Right hand" *

"Left hand" *

Now, I generally would pick the handshape with the fingers going up
verses going down because the palm is facing up in real life. That is
also why your students choose it that way also. Even though the other
would be correct, reading it would be difficult. ;-)

Adam

*Notice that I put left and right in quotations. That is because there
are no true left and right handshapes, but they are commonly used as
one or the other.