Question about ASL sign GOVERNMENT

Adam Frost icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 20 21:01:47 UTC 2008

If I were to write it as I sign it, which is a lot like how I can see
Natasha is writing it, I would come up with this for more detailed use:

But I would simplify it even more as this is really more information
then is needed. So something like this:

Although Charles did say that the palm should all be white as it is in
ASLpro and wouldn't disagree with it if it is written that way because
I have seen people sign it that way, I don't normally end up that way
when I sign it. So half black and white or white is fine. Up to the
writer. ;-)

The black dot means the knuckle bends in, but the open dot means the
knuckles bend out, so the final movement is bending open.

Charles is right that the wrist circle is backwards as you have it
where the wrist circles up, not down as with the sign.

I personally don't use the single touch because it is clear that the
finger is touching the head. Also, the touch symbol does not go
between the finger and the head, but near if you want it there.

Other than that, my simplified writing (which is what I would normally
use in most cases) match very closely to you writing. Just a few
confusions about a couple of the symbols, but not bad. :-)

If you want more help, just let us know. Always willing to give
feedback on writing. :-)

Adam