The SignWriter Studio software

KJ kjoanne403 at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Tue Nov 25 02:38:53 UTC 2008

Wow!  Sounds like a major project; I'll look forward to trying it out once the beta version is online!
KJ
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jonathan y Yolaine
  To: SignWriting List
  Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 5:47 PM
  Subject: [sw-l] The SignWriter Studio software

  Hi all,
      I want to let you know how my SignWriting software is coming along.  All the following is tentative and may change before the it's release.  All of your comments are welcome and appreciated.
      The name of the software is The SignWriter Studio.  It's a continuation of a program I wrote a few years ago called that was for grouping and printing lists of signs and pictures of what they were.  It was for my personal use to teach my deaf students, many of whom didn't know any formal sign language, and also to help other expand their sign vocabulary.

      However that program had one big shortcoming. I couldn't find all the vocabulary I needed to teach my students. By then I had started to learn SignWriting I wrote some signs in SignText and added them as pictures to lists of signs.  But I decided that it would be best write another program and include the features of this along with SignWriting.
      Basically "The SignWriter Studio" is a multilanguaged glossed dictionary.  The Dictionary can hold SignWriting like the SignPuddle but also pictures along with the signs.  Any one sign can be glosses in any number of languages and you can work with up to to glossing languages at a time.  The Signs can be searched by gloss or by symbol search. It has it's own intuitive Sign Editor complete with favorite symbol list, hand symbol search, keyboard or entry for pretty much everything.  The software also has a Document section where you can include signs from the dictionary of pictures, or even create new signs.  A GlosstoSign form is being developed to gloss out a document.  It also has it´s own Image Editor for basic image editing. It can export and import both SBML and SignText URLs.   The SignList is for grouping signs and printing them out to practice them.  Also I am planning a SWQuiz as a game to practice sign vocabulary.

      I also loved the idea of writing a program that could change from expressive to receptive and vice-versa. Also be able to animate the signs and someday interface with an Avatar. But the only way of doing this right was to write everything from the ground up. I also wanted to write a program that would make SignWriting even easier for the beginner and faster for the experienced user than it already is .

      So I started writing a prototype program to get the ideas of how I was going do this monumental task of writing a SignWriting editor. Recently I started pulling all of the pieces together to create "The SignWriter Studio". I plan on publishing a BETA version as soon is it is ready so that you can all have a look at it. Meanwhile, any and all suggestions are welcome either on the SignWriting List(sw-l) or directly to me at duncanjonathan at yahoo.ca

  Intended Features

        Main Feature Feature Status
        GlosstoSign

       Gloss to Sign Needs Work

       Phrase to Sign Not yet implemented

       Pass to Document Not yet implemented

       Insert Gloss Not yet implemented

       Change Gloss Not yet implemented

       Keyboard Shortcuts Not yet implemented

       Help Not yet implemented

       Globalized Not yet implemented
        ImageEditor

       Crop Working

       Convert to Black and White Working

       Open/Save Image File Needs Work

       Eraser Working

       Resize Needs Work

       Contrast Not yet implemented

       Brightness Not yet implemented

       Undo/Redo Working

       Keyboard Shortcuts Not yet implemented

       Help Not yet implemented

       Globalized Not yet implemented
        Import Export

       Import SBML Working

       Export SBML Working

       Import SignText URL Working

       Export SignText URL Working

       Import TheSignWriterStudio Not yet implemented

       Export ThSignWriterStudio Not yet implemented

       Choose Gloss Language Working

       Choose Dictionary Sign Language Working

       Keyboard Shortcuts Not yet implemented

       Help Not yet implemented

       Globalized Not yet implemented

       Choose User Interface Language Working

       Choose User Interface Sign Language Working

       Choose First Gloss Language Working

       Choose Second Gloss Language Working

       Choose Dictionary Sign Language Working

       Keyboard Shortcuts Not yet implemented

       Help Not yet implemented

       Globalized Not yet implemented
        SignList

       Add/Rename/Choose/Delete SignList  Needs Work

       Add/Rename/Choose/Order/Delete SignList Sub Titles Working

       Add/Choose/Delete SignList Sub Title Signs from Dictionary Working

       Display Sign Working

       Mark Signs not in any previous Sub Title Working

       Print List Needs Work

       Print Preview Needs Work

       Export to Image File for Slide Show Not yet implemented

       Keyboard Shortcuts Not yet implemented

       Help Not yet implemented

       Globalized Not yet implemented
        SWDictionary

       Search Bilingual Gloss Working

       Search Unilingual Gloss Working

       Add New Sign Working

       Duplicate Sign Working

       Edit SignWriting in SWEditor Working

       Edit Image in ImageEditor Working

       Import Working

       Export Working

       Copy/Paste SignWriting Not yet implemented

       Copy/Paste Picture of Sign Copy implemented

       Copy/Paste Photo Copy implemented

       Sign Definition In Future version

       Sign Example In Future version

       Sign Parts-of-Speech In Future version

       Sign Mnemonic In Future version

       Keyboard Shortcuts Not yet implemented

       Help Not yet implemented

       Globalized Not yet implemented
        SWDocument

       Add/Edit SignWriting in SWEditor Working

       Add Sign from Dictionary Working

       Add/Edit Image in ImageEditor Working

       Add Image from File Working

       Remove Sign/Image Working

       Move Sign/Image Working

       Switch Sign Lanes Working

       Edit Gloss Not yet implemented

       Save Sign back to Dictionary Not yet implemented

       Symbol and Sign Gloss tool tip  Working

       Save/Load Document Not yet implemented

       Import Working

       Export Working

       Print Not yet implemented

       Print Preview Not yet implemented

       Keyboard Shortcuts Not yet implemented

       Help Not yet implemented

       Globalized Not yet implemented
        SWEditor

       Add/Remove/Choose Favorite Symbol Working

       Listing of all Symbol Groups Needs Work

       Hand Shape Search Working

       Add/Remove/Order Sequence Working

       Hand Shape Rotation/Fill Chooser Working

       Symbol Chooser  Working

       Symbol Drag and Drop  Working

       Multiple Symbol Selection Working

       Move Symbol Above/Below Working

       Duplicate Symbols Working

       Change Symbol size Working

       Change Symbol Color Working

       Change Background Color Working

       Copy Image of Sign Working

       Copy/Paste SignWriting Not yet implemented

       Add/Change Frames Working

       Undo/Redo Working

       Mouseless Writing Working

       Keyboard Shortcuts Working

       Help Not yet implemented

       Globalized Not yet implemented
        SWSearch

       Exact Match Working

       Group Match Not yet implemented

       Fill Match Not yet implemented

       Rotation Match Not yet implemented

       Any Match Not yet implemented

       Synonym Symbol in other plane Working

       Sign Similarity Not yet implemented

       Keyboard Shortcuts Working

       Help Not yet implemented

       Globalized Not yet implemented
        SWQuizes

       Multiple Choice SignWriting Not yet implemented

       Multiple Choice Gloss Not yet implemented

       Keyboard Shortcuts Not yet implemented

       Help Not yet implemented

       Globalized Not yet implemented
        SWAnimation

       SignWriting to Animation Files In Future version

       Help In Future version

       Globalized In Future version
        SWAvatar

       SignWriting to Avatar script In Future version

       Help In Future version

       Globalized In Future version
        SWReceptive Expresive to Receptive In Future version

  Operating systems

  Win98, XP, Vista.

  Requires .Net framework 2.0 or higher.

  Possible future version for Linux.