mixing planes

Cherie Wren cwterp at YAHOO.COM
Sat Nov 29 17:14:00 UTC 2008

But the hand can be wall plane but move floor plane, and visa-versa.  Sign PUSH--  hand is wall plane, movement is floor plane.  Sign GROW-UP--  hand is floor plane, movement is wall plane.  Granted neither of those is movement to the side, but mixing of planes WILL happen, and not just occasionally.

________________________________
From: KJ <kjoanne403 at signwriting.org>
To: SignWriting List <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2008 11:27:16 PM
Subject: Re: [sw-l] Movement to the side

I feel the same way, Stefan - I always write single
stemmed arrows for side-to-side movement.  But it is interesting what Andre
had to say... I didn't think about connecting the single-stemmed arrows with
floor plane handshapes and double-stemmed arrows with wall plane
handshapes.  It makes sense to me, though!  And if the kids feel it is
easier to read when the arrow stems match the handshape plane, then maybe we
should think about adopting that as a convention...

KJ