Write a sentence using listing in ASL

Cherie Wren cwterp at YAHOO.COM
Sun Nov 2 22:51:17 UTC 2008

Natasha, search the sign puddle for Shurley Jingle 1, it has listing in it.  In this case the non-dominant hand moves in and out of position (it isn't held throughout), but it will give you an idea...  I know there's stuff somewhere in Cat in the Hat, too, that may not be specifically listing, but where one sign is held while other things go on with the other hand...

cherie

________________________________
From: Valerie Sutton <signwriting at mac.com>
To: SignWriting List <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Sent: Sunday, November 2, 2008 5:12:13 PM
Subject: Re: [sw-l] Write a sentence using listing in ASL

SignWriting List
November 2, 2008

On Nov 2, 2008, at 1:05 PM, Natasha Escalada-Westland wrote:
I have looked through the writing lessons online, but remain unsure as to how I would show a handshape held on the weak hand throughout an entire sentence, as when somone would list items or people, while the dominant hand continues to sign and refer to the weak hand. Would I use a symbol for "Unit Dynamics" (a light gray line), and if so, where can I find that in the SignPuddle? Thank you!

-----

Hello Natasha!
Thanks for this question. No. We would not use the Unit Dynamics Line...definitely not ;-)))

Holding the non-dominant hand in space, while the dominant hand continues to sign, is written with a Tension Symbol placed underneath the hand that is held in space....The Tension Symbol is showing that that position is being "held in one place"... In the attached example we call it "classifiers", but even if it is not a classifier...any hand that is "held in space" has a Tension Symbol under it...

Here is a good example from Goldilocks. Notice the C handshape with the left hand. It is held in the C position, while the right hand is signing...the C hand represents the bowl, while the other hand is spooning porridge...

So place a Tension Symbol underneath the hand that is written in one place, and write it throughout all the signs that have it held in space...

See attached example...I will find you more too...