how to write big waves

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Nov 9 22:10:19 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
November 9, 2008

On Nov 9, 2008, at 1:43 PM, Charles Butler wrote:
> Check Waves big on the SignPuddle ASL dictionary.  I'm glad that
> "simple" is better.

Yes. I agree. I prefer very simple writing....the simpler the better.

Here is how I would write the big waves...mine is the second one
attached...

the movement symbols are already constructed for you in the ISWA...no
need to construct any symbols...and the Simultaneous Line (the Same-
Time Line) is not necessary either...a few years ago we made the
decision as a group here on the List, to make the assumption, that if
there is no Simultaneous Line written, that we assume that the hands
move at the same time...of course, it is not wrong to write the
line...it is just more detail than necessary...so we are trying to
find a way to read and write signs with the least amount of
information necessary, but still get all the meaning...of course it is
hard to know sometimes how much can be taken away, but the second
writing is enough information I think to read that it is a large wave
and both hands are doing it...

Thanks for your input, Charles!