AW: [sw-l] Question about ASL sign GOVERNMENT

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 20 23:20:54 UTC 2008

Here you go.

Stefan Wöhrmann <stefanwoehrmann at googlemail.com> wrote:        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}           Hi Valerie, Natasha, Charles, sw-list

  I do not know the ASL sign for Government – there is another variation at lifeprint

   http://www.lifeprint.com/

  Charles, can you write your spelling with SignPuddle and add the graphic to your message?

  Stefan ;-)

---------------------------------

  Von: sw-l-bounces at majordomo.valenciacc.edu [mailto:sw-l-bounces at majordomo.valenciacc.edu] Im Auftrag von Charles Butler
 Gesendet: Donnerstag, 20. November 2008 19:51
 An: SignWriting List
 Betreff: Re: [sw-l] Question about ASL sign GOVERNMENT

    If one knows the sign, this is quite compact and contains all the information necessary to  read outside to inside to end at the point of contact.  I checked on

    http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

    to get a video of the sign (they only have Governor) but that is Govern + person.

    Notes on writing.

    Reading from the inside out.

    1) Sign ends at point of contact (the palm facing usually written).  At that point, the hand is palm facing the reader, the index finger as written is palm down, which is the point of initial movement not the ending movement.

    2) The knuckle bend is shown correctly.

    3) The wrist movement is backward.  If one follows the circle, one's index finger would be going toward the center which is the opposite of the movement if one is signing one's own hand.  As it is a complete circular movement, the type of movement is correct, just the rotation of the arrow needs to be mirrored.

    So, to fix the writing:

    1) Reverse the wrist circle (imagine the index finger circling away from you, which is out from the center in writing).

    2) Change the palm facing on the index finger to palm toward the reader (all white, not half and half).

    3) Leave the knuckle bend where it is.  The whole writing is compact and actually quite elegant.

    Charles Butler

 Valerie Sutton <signwriting at mac.com> wrote:

    SignWriting List
 November 20, 2008

 Hello SW List!
 This morning Natasha sent the SW List an email, and I am not sure why,
 but the message came through only through the Digest version of the SW
 List, but not into my email box...so just in case, I am re-posting
 Natasha's question to the List to be sure you all got it....

 I hope the SignWriting teachers on the List will answer Natasha's
 question! Thank you Natasha for this question! Val ;-)

 PS. I am enjoying my visit with my sister...thank you, Adam, for
 wishing us a happy Thanksgiving and I want to wish a happy
 Thanksgiving to you too, and to all who celebrate the holiday here in
 the US...Actually Thanksgiving Day is a week from today, but my sister
 came early because she cannot be here on the real Thanksgiving
 Day...so we are celebrating early...smile ;-)

 SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

 List Archives and Help

Ich verwende die kostenlose Version von SPAMfighter, die bisher
382 Spammails entfernt und mir so eine Menge Zeit gespart hat.
Rund 5,6 Millionen Leute nutzen SPAMfighter schon

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help