translating text in signpuddle

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Oct 17 11:28:28 UTC 2008

The problem is that ANY language translation program needs to be done "phrase by phrase" and that comes out as lots of hyphens "what's-up" in the current version of sign puddle.  "I-give-to-him" is another example.  ASL carries direction in a single sign, so every phrase has to be included in a comprehensive dictionary.  It will be a challenge for any spoken language to any signed language and all translation programs have to build in "proximity" rules for phrases.

"I give to him" is not "he gives to me" and sign puddle translation has to have both phrases.  It will be a challenge for a long time.

Charles Butler

Honza <honza at ruce.cz> wrote: sure I know, but it is also how are sings shown. I think it is possible to do it that way, it is possible than to translate prhases as well, if they are entered to the puddle.
Right now there is only way - to label more words terms with "-".
 so then I am not able to take advantage of having possibility to enter signs that needs to be labeled with more words.
thanks

Honza