ANNOUNCING: International SignWriting Alphabet 2008

Fri Sep 19 20:17:28 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
September 19, 2008

Dear SignWriting List:

Although we have much work ahead, I am happy to announce the Release
Candidate 1 for the International SignWriting Alphabet (ISWA 2008).

Yesterday, September 18th, we installed the ISWA 2008 into SignPuddle
1.5, without any problems. The conversion from the old IMWA to the new
ISWA was automatic and flawless. THANK YOU, to Steve Slevinski, for
his outstanding conversion software.

(By the way, the problem that Stefan pointed out was related to
something else entirely from long ago, and was not connected to the
ISWA conversion process which Steve Slevinski designed.)

Now that you all can use the ISWA 2008 in SignPuddle 1.5, we will have
a formal review of the ISWA 2008 from September 20, 2008 through
October 20, 2008.

After the review, we will decide if additional changes are needed or
if the ISWA 2008 is final and complete.

Once the ISWA 2008 is finalized after October 20, 2008, no further
changes will be made to the ISWA 2008 symbolset.

In the future, there may be an ISWA 2010 or an ISWA 2012, but the ISWA
2008 symbolset will remain the same after October 20th.

So please enjoy testing and using the ISWA 2008 in SignPuddle. If you
have any suggestions, please tell us in the next month, here on the
SignWriting List.

We always look forward to hearing from you!

More information is coming next message...

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

2. SignPuddle
Create SignWriting Documents Online
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

3. SignBank
SignWriting Desktop Databases
http://www.SignBank.org

4. SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions to the List

5. SignWriting Literature Project
Writing Literature in Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org/literature

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting