ANNOUNCING: International SignWriting Alphabet 2008

Mon Sep 22 00:35:28 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
September 21, 2008

Hello Maria!
You are the first to give us real feedback, while using the ISWA.
Thanks for sharing with us.

I am happy you are enjoying the new symbols...there are a lot more
curves and sizes to choose from, in the Movement Symbols, and the
Facial Expressions have much more flexibility. Later I will teach
everyone some new tricks with placing more symbols inside the Facial
Circle...there are more opportunities now, to expand the amount of
symbols we can fit into a face...very much more useful...and there are
now new symbols that are used for writing role playing and role
shifting, that really enhances writing dialogues, and storytelling...

Yes...back in 1974 I chose to make Sutton Movement Writing my life's
work, and by 1981 I specifically chose to make SignWriting the most
important part of Movement Writing...that was when we started
publishing the SignWriter Newspaper...a tabloid size 20 page newspaper
written in ASL, published quarterly...but we didn't have personal
computers back then...what we needed was the ISWA 2008 and SignPuddle
to make it possible...so now a world of publishing in written Sign
Language is before us, thanks to these new developments...

Once I finish adding the ISWA symbols into SignBank software, which is
a separate computer program that we use for publishing dictionaries,
and once Steve's new SignPuddle 2.0 is released later this year, we
will be ready to start publishing encyclopedias and other larger books
in written Sign Languages...I think it is time for us to publish
novels and big volumes of religious literature in several Sign
Languages...as the shelves fill with literature there will be no
denying that Sign Languages are written languages...

God bless you too, Maria -

We look forward to reading your literture in Maltese Sign Language!

Val ;-)