ISWA Hand Groups

Fri Sep 26 17:26:50 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
September 26, 2008

On Sep 26, 2008, at 10:15 AM, Jonathan y Yolaine wrote:
> I hadn't realized that group 6 has been called Baby Finger all
> along.  I guess I just remembered that each of the hand groups go by
> the ASL numbers from 1 to 10.  But now that I realize that their
> official names are a bit different, it all makes more sense to me.

Hello Jonathan and everyone:

Yes, the 10 Hand Groups are "loosely" based on the ASL numbers from 1
to 10:

Group 1: Index Finger
Group 2: Index and Middle Fingers
Group 3: Index, Middle and Thumb
Group 4: Four Fingers
Group 5: Five Fingers
Group 6: Baby Finger (starts with Baby Finger Down like in the number
6 in ASL, but then other sub-groups follow)
Group 7: Ring Finger (starts with Ring Finger Down like in the number
7 in ASL, but then other sub-groups follow)
Group 8: Middle Finger (starts with Middle Finger Down like in the
number 8 in ASL, but then other sub-groups follow)
Group 9: Index and Thumb (starts with Index and Thumb touching like in
the number 9 in ASL, but then other sub-groups follow)
Group 10: Thumb

Group 6 starts with the "Baby Finger Down" like the number 6 in
ASL...but then it has other sub-groups after that, including "Baby
Finger Up" and so forth...

There is nothing perfect about the grouping, other than it does follow
a general logic, and is loosely based on ASL numbers 1-10 to help
people find handshapes...some of the sub-groups in Group 6...you just
have to remember where they are located...it goes Baby Finger Down and
then Baby Finger Up and then other combinations of Baby Finger
with....another finger...like Baby Finger with Thumb...and so forth

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help