AW: [sw-l] Mouth Patterns

Sun Sep 21 14:49:12 UTC 2008

Hello Maria,

so you would like to add informattion about what the mouth is doing while
the signer is moving his hands at the same time --smile.

If you look up the terms "Mundbilder in der GebaerdenSchrift" and
"woehrmann`s Speechwriting" you will understand that there are two different
notation systems which are not to be mixed up.

I guess you are not interested to find signwriting mouth pattern that goes
along with a phonetic impression - since this information cannot be seen by
deaf partners.

So I decided to define a class of mouthsymbols to represent given
mouthmovements that can be seen, while the signer is moving his lips as if
articulating (without sound) a given word (or part of it) of the spoken
language (in my case German -- in your case italien or french or spanish
???)

So it would make sense to find some kind of international agreement -

Do you know about the German Handbuch der GebärdenSchrift?  I discussed this
topic in detail ... but for first information the following link may be
helpfull:

On this page you find two different tables as download options

http://www.gebaerden.de/produkte.html

1) Mundbilder (direkter Download) (  mouthmovements in SignWriting - not
sound based!)

and

2) Mundbildschrift (direkter Download)   (Woehrmann`s SpeechWriting) each
sound of German spoken language goes along with one and only one symbol

In the past we have had some debate about this issue -- smile --

I am interested to hear from you. Do you think that in your given
SignLanguage mouthmovements are a part of the whole sign ...or at least in
some percentage of the signs?

In addition to that of course we use mimic and mouthgestures as well -- but
that is not discussed here.

All the very best

Stefan ;-)