ANNOUNCING: International SignWriting Alphabet 2008

Jonathan y Yolaine joyoduncan at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 26 17:15:09 UTC 2008

Valerie Sutton wrote:
> SignWriting List
> September 26, 2008
>
> Hello Jonathan and Everyone!
>
> Thank you for this message and for your kind words. Steve did an
> amazing job with the automatic conversion. People are writing full
> documents with the ISWA 2008 in the past week, since we converted over
> to the ISWA, without a problem, as if it was always there for them. I
> am very glad that we installed the ISWA into the current version of
> SignPuddle 1.5, so that we will be using the same ISWA for both the
> current software, and the new 2.0 version later...
>
> Actually I am planning to write a Third Edition of the Lessons in
> SignWriting Textbook, that will coordinate with the ISWA 2008 symbols.
> I know it is needed, but I haven't started that project yet.
>
> Adam Frost just completed the animated GIFs for Group 1: Index Finger,
> but I still need to post those new animated GIFs. Thank you, Adam!
>
> Regarding Group 6: Baby Finger, which you mention below, Jonathan...
>
> Group 6 was always called Baby Finger...for at least a decade, so you
> just didn't realize before. But I can totally understand your point
> about so many unusual handshapes grouped together in Group 6...
>
> Group 6 technically has many "sub-groups". The human hand has so many
> potential positions, and we were trying to just have 10 groups of
> hands in total...so Group 6 is the umbrella for several handshape
> configurations...all involving the Baby Finger in some way...

Hi Val,
    I hadn't realized that group 6 has been called Baby Finger all
along.  I guess I just remembered that each of the hand groups go by the
ASL numbers from 1 to 10.  But now that I realize that their official
names are a bit different, it all makes more sense to me.
    Thanks for the explanation

Jonathan