ASL teachers using Sign Writing

Natasha Escalada-Westland shash90 at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 29 13:07:17 UTC 2008

Thank you!  If there are any ASL teachers out there who are using SignWriting who would be willing to contact me off-list to discuss how they are using it, my work email is nescalada at amphi.com
My hotmail account 'junks' a lot of my mail, so I miss it.Natasha Escalada-Westland, M.Ed. (D/HH), Macromedia Cert.Westland Progeny, www.westlandprogeny.comwww.westlandasl.com

From: sutton at signwriting.orgTo: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.eduSubject: Re: [sw-l] ASL teachers using Sign WritingDate: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 17:48:43 -0700SignWriting List
September 28, 2008

On Sep 28, 2008, at 3:36 PM, Natasha Escalada-Westland wrote:

I was wondering how many teacher of ASL as a second language are using Sign Writing in their classrooms?  I've been teaching ASL for 10 years, and have decided to add it as a regular part of teaching ASL in my high school classes this year.  I wanted to get feedback from others who might be doing this. Thanks!
-----

Hello Natasha!
I was so delighted to visit this web page to see SignWriting mentioned there:

www.westlandasl.com
It is an attractive web site. If you need help with the SignWriting part of it, we will be glad to help you...

I am so happy to learn that you plan to use SignWriting as a part of teaching ASL. Reading and writing a language is an important part of learning a language, and can help new students remember what they learn in class.

We have more written American Sign Language literature now...which means you will have more reading materials for your students ...I am creating a listing of all of the literature on the web, and I will post that shortly, so you can download documents to use as reading material in class...or just visit the ASL Literature Puddle:

ASL Literature Puddle
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle

I do not know how many teachers use SignWriting as a part of their ASL classes. I hope more will follow your lead!