development of the SignPuddle Reader

Wed Apr 8 19:33:24 UTC 2009

Hi SignWriting List,

I would like to share my latest developments with a new application
called the SignPuddle Reader.

It should be completed by next Friday, the 17th.  The following
examples, downloads, and details are under heavy development.  Some of
the screen is a mock up.

SP Reader uses the new data format called Binary SignWriting (BSW).  SP
Reader can be used online or offline.  To use offline, the ISWA (10 MB)
only needs to be installed once on each PC.  The sign language data
itself is amazingly small.

You can view the first BSW strings:
http://www.signpuddle.net/spreader/?bsw=00800100f100f100

You can view "Hello world":
http://www.signpuddle.net/spreader/?bsw=00801ce0f8d4f8ec8746f8eaf8fe008032eaf89ef91432e1f897f8fb5ec0f8b1f901b3b4f8a9f8e5ec20

You can view the index:
http://www.signpuddle.net/spreader

You can view the entire "Cat in the Hat" document as featured on
SignPuddle Online:
http://www.signpuddle.net/spreader/?doc=cat_in_the_hat

You can even view the data behind the cat in the hat:
http://www.signpuddle.net/spreader/data/cat_in_the_hat.json (100 KB)

The entire "Cat in the Hat" in ASL is only 100 KB.  This includes the
ASL data, English text, and links to the Google videos.  It requires an
addition 2 MB if all of the symbol images are included in the download.

The SP Reader is a client program that works with any modern browser.
You can download the dev version I'm working on to take a peek.  Simply
unzip and open the file "index.html" with a modern browser; like
Firefox, IE, Opera, and Safari.  Be aware, you'll need to install the
ISWA separately, otherwise you'll only see question marks instead of
symbols.
http://www.signpuddle.net/spreader.zip (164 KB)

The SP Reader is screen size aware so it should works nicely with small
screens.  SP Reader works with the Browser's back and forward buttons.
I need to make a few optimizations for speed, but I've successfully
tested it on Mac, Windows, Linux, and the portable Maemo platform.  I'm
not sure about the iPhone or the BlackBerry, but it's possible.  Can
anyone check?

Regards,
-Steve

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu