bookmark a PDF...plus SW book layout in Open Office

Sat Aug 1 17:54:57 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
August 1, 2009

On Aug 1, 2009, at 10:26 AM, Ronald Dettloff wrote:
> Yes, I would like to know how to create in PDF bookmarks.
> To update you: We now make our SignBible in three ways: Microsoft
> Word (which we try not to use since it is not the best and does not
> always print all the signs.) Now we try to make our documents in
> Open Office 3.1 which is free to download and use, operates on our
> Linux or Windows OS, and works better with SignWriting than
> Microsoft. We usually also convert all our work to PDF before
> sending them out. For our overheads we either go straight to
> SignPuddle and project or we us copy whatever is on our screen, crop
> it, and convert to PDF. Rev. Ronald H. Dettloff, 20880 Ten Mile
> Road, St. Clair Shores, MI 48080

Hello Ron!
This is very interesting. So you use Open Office 3.1 for your
SignWriting documents? Do you have any templates for your SW documents
in Open Office? smile...might help other people create their own
SignWriting documents for printing...

That is why I shared our template for Adobe InDesign...to help those
who use that software anyway ...making it easier for us to create
SignWriting literature for printing...

I will look into Open Office too...I am on a Mac, but maybe they will
have a Mac version someday...

Regarding making PDF bookmarks...
Up at the top of Adobe Acrobat, there is a Help Menu. Click on Help,
and in the Adobe Acrobat manual search for "Creating Bookmarks"...

But here is how I do it... (see attached screen capture)

1. In the PDF document you created, go to the page you want to bookmark.
2. In the Bookmarks panel on the left, click on Options and choose New
Bookmark.
3. Give the Bookmark a name and press Enter.
4. Then navigate to the next page you want to bookmark and repeat the
process...see attached diagram.